The New York Institute of Photography has educated more professional photographers than any other institution.
In 1910, the Industrial Revolution was in full swing and the world was looking to science and technology to make life better. It was against this backdrop that the New York Institute of Photography was founded.
French immigrant Emile Brunel (1874–1944) opened the New York Institute of Photography in the burgeoning neighborhood around Penn Station. Originally started as a retail operation that taught its customers how to use the photography equipment they purchased, the school quickly expanded into teaching photo engraving, retouching, and cinematography and began to publish its lessons in book form.
In 1914 Brunel registered the school as the New York Institute of Photography. Samuel Fortune Falk and his two brothers took over the school in 1920. Falk was an entrepreneur who created a publishing company and expanded NYIP to Chicago and Brooklyn. Through the 1930s and ’40s it was NYIP that trained a large percentage of the motion picture newsreel cameramen.
In 1956 the National Home Study Council accredited NYIP for distance education. The National Home Study Council eventually changed its name to the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). NYIP is licensed by the New York State Education Department and maintains its accreditation with DEAC. In 1975, NYIP closed its residential school to focus on distance education.
In addition to their focus on distance education, The New York Institute of Photography has partnered with NYIP Adventures to bring the highest level of photography education to travelers. Each NYIP Instructor inspires his or her students and challenges them to build on what they know so they can constantly improve and reach their goals in photography.
Click here for more information about the online courses available at The New York Institute of Photography.